MY HUSBAND Bert planted some broccolini plants this year and they have not stopped producing. We really enjoy broccolini, but we don’t want to have it with every meal. However, I have found a delicious soup you can make with broccoli or broccolini, whichever takes your fancy. It’s called broccoli & blue cheese soup, but I reckon you could put any sort of cheese in it and it would still taste great!
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 stick celery, sliced
1 leek, sliced
1 medium potato, diced
1 knob butter
1litre of low-salt or homemade chicken or vegetable stock
1 head broccoli or a bunch of broccolini, roughly chopped
120 grams of blue stilton, or other cheese, crumbled
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and then add the onions.
- Cook over a medium heat until soft.
- Add a splash of water if the onions catch.
- Add the celery, leek, potato and a knob of butter.
- Stir until melted, then cover with a lid.
- Allow to sweat for 5 minutes. Remove the lid.
- Pour in the stock and add any chunky bits of broccoli stalk.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
- Add the rest of the broccoli and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Stir in the cheese, allowing a few lumps to remain.
- Season with black pepper and serve with crusty bread or rolls.