THIS is a real winter warmer. Yes, the cocoa powder is a bit unusual, but it makes quite a difference. The chilli dish seems to me to be a lot smoother and silkier with the addition of cocoa. The combination with avocado is lovely too. Go for it! Make it a bit hotter (or milder) if you like. It’s always a great favourite with all the family.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion finely chopped
500 grams of minced beef
400 grams of tinned tomatoes
2 tablespoons of tomato paste
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of chilli powder (more or less to your taste)
420 gram tin of kidney or cannellini beans
Large pinch of dried oregano
2 avocados peeled and chopped
- Cook the onion until translucent, add the minced beef and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in tomatoes and tomato paste, cocoa, chilli powder and oregano.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the beef is cooked, then add the beans and simmer for 5 minutes
- Divide the rice among dishes. Top with the chilli beef then the avocado.
- Serve with boiled rice and garnish with coriander and corn chips if wished.