MY PLUM lady on the Cape Paterson Road has sold her property so no more bags of plums for $3 and no more jars of plum jam. On the bright side, plums seem to be cheaper this year and I do so adore them. This is a wonderfully simple and delicious dessert you can make with plums or rhubarb.
500 grams of plums or rhubarb
115 grams of caster sugar, plus extra to taste
3 tablespoons of kirsch (I use brandy)
300mls of thick cream
Juice of ½ lemon (optional)
- Halve and stone the plums or chop the rhubarb
- Place in a saucepan with 3 tablespoons of water and the caster sugar.
- Cover and cook over a medium heat for 10-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is meltingly soft.
- Transfer the fruit to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Place the purée into a bowl and set aside until cooled to room temperature.
- When the plum purée is cooled, mix in the kirsch.
- Pour the cream into a large bowl and whisk until it forms soft peaks.
- Fold a little of the cream mixture into the plums, then fold the plums into the cream.
- If the plums are very sweet, add lemon juice to taste, or if they’re a little sour, add extra sugar to taste.
- Chill, covered, for 15 minutes or until ready to serve, then spoon into elegant dessert glasses.