I AM really getting historic this month! I was looking through some of my old cookery books for inspiration when I found a really old one from around 1974. At the time it was the only cookery book I had with coloured photos of the finished recipes!
A young Mary Berry made this contribution to the book. This recipe for chilled lemon flan was one of our favourites at that time and in fact this recipe is timeless.
- 120 grams of digestive biscuits
- 60 grams of butter melted
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- For the filling:
- 150 ml of double cream lightly whipped
- 1/2 can of condensed milk
- 2 large lemons
- For the topping:
- Lightly whipped double cream
- Fresh or crystallised lemon slices
- Set the oven to 150 degrees.
- Crush or process the biscuits, add the butter and sugar and mix well.
- Pack into a 23cm fluted flan dish and press into shape around the base with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove and leave to cool completely
- Mix together the cream, condensed milk and finely grated lemon rind.
- Juice the lemons and beat into the mix slowly.
- Pour this mixture into the cooled flan dish and chill in the fridge.
- You can adorn with whirls of whipped cream and lemon slices.