NOT only did we have a great crop of apples this year but the rhubarb has been wonderful as well. In fact, we have had to remove some of our older plants to make room for other things.
RHUBARB & BERRY MUFFINS
1½ cups of self-raising flour
½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
½ cup of caster sugar
100 grams of melted butter (cooled)
½ cup of buttermilk (I use fresh milk and squeeze a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice in and let it sit for 10 minutes – this will turn out like buttermilk, or you can buy it at the supermarket.)
2 lightly beaten eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
½ cup of fresh or frozen raspberries
2 good sized sticks of rhubarb finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Grease and line a12-hole muffin pan with muffin cases
- Sift flour and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon into a bowl.
- Add the sugar and stir to mix.
- Make a well in centre and add the butter, buttermilk, egg and vanilla.
- Using a large metal spoon, stir gently to mix.
- Fold through raspberries and rhubarb
- Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin cases filling them about ¾ full
- Mix 1 tablespoon of sugar and the remaining cinnamon in a bowl.
- Sprinkle over the mixture Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of 1 cake comes out clean
- Stand in pan for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve.