RECENTLY, I was wracking my brain to find a different but easy salad to take with me to the Woolamai Picnic Races. I am not sure how this one cropped up, but I thought I had better try it out on Bert first. Hooray, it was a great success! I don’t usually like salads with noodles, but this one is particularly tasty and, of course, very easy to make.
500 grams of chicken thighs
1 jar of chilli jam, from supermarkets
1 packet of cellophane noodles (from the Asian section)
1 packet of bean sprouts from the vegie section
Coriander, parsley, and other herbs if you have them
1 Lebanese cucumber thinly sliced
Thai style salad dressing or make your own with olive oil, red wine vinegar, a splash or two of of soy sauce and a small chilli, de-seeded (optional)
- Cut the chicken thighs into manageable pieces.
- Pierce them with a metal skewer.
- Marinate them in the chilli jam, preferably overnight or for a few hours.
- Heat the olive oil and char grill or pan fry the chicken turning often until cooked.
- Plunge the noodles into boiling water for 2 minutes, drain and cool.
- Wash the bean sprouts, herbs and any other salad items.
- Mix all the salad ingredients into a bowl.
- Add the cooled noodles and cooked chicken pieces and toss well.
- To serve, pour over the Thai style dressing.
- Garnish with coriander.