WE GROW too much rhubarb!! I recently asked Bert to cut the rhubarb back a bit as I can’t keep up with it. So of course I got myself a load of rhubarb. However, this lovely cake was so delicious that I didn’t complain too much. Try it and see.
125 grams of butter, softened
220 grams of brown sugar
Zest of 1 orange
225 grams of self-raising flour, sifted
75 grams of plain flour, sifted
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
300 grams of sour cream
300 grams of rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 2cm lengths
2-3 stalks of rhubarb, extra, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
1 tablespoon of raw sugar
Icing sugar, to dust
Cream or custard to serve
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar and orange zest in a bowl for 5 minutes or until pale and fluffy
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition
- Use a large metal spoon to fold in the combined flour, cinnamon and sour cream in alternating batches.
- Gently stir in the rhubarb.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
- Arrange the extra rhubarb on top and sprinkle with raw sugar
- Bake for 1 hour 15 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool
- Release the cake from the pan and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve with thick cream or custard.