WITH all this cold weather, it’s definitely time for a tasty bowl of spicy carrot and ginger soup.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek halved lengthways; white skin part only, thinly sliced
- A 4cm piece of ginger finely grated (you can find real ginger at any supermarket)
- 2 cups of salt-reduced chicken stock
- 2 cups of water
- A light sour cream and some dill to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek, carrots and grated ginger. Cook uncovered for 8 minutes or until vegetables start to soften
- Add the stock and water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the sour cream and chopped dill.
- Serve with bread rolls or toast.